Signal Noise reinvents the way people experience data. With a rich heritage in data visualisation, we create digital products, services, and stories in and about complex, data-rich environments from Smart Cities to Industrial IoT and Finance. We aim to change behaviour by having a measurable impact on people.
Your primary responsibility will be to work on individual projects as a hands on developer, but you should also be interested in improving the output of the studio as a whole, and in both learning from and teaching other developers.
Projects vary widely; from short term storytelling to products and from browser based to installations and other formats, and prototyping is a part of most projects. We love generalists; you should have a ‘home zone’ of expertise but be capable of — or at least interested in — working in other technologies and environments.
We believe great work is made by great people collaborating in a great environment. Please read our technical approach and workflow if you’re interested in applying.
You will be expected to
- Work on and often lead individual projects from a technology perspective, ensuring standards are met and the quality bar is kept high
- Support team members who need help with something you’re expert in
- Guide and teach junior team members on best practises and approaches to problems
- Help develop and maintain coding standards across the studio in conjunction with the tech team
- Help develop processes and maintain tools and libraries across the studio in conjunction with the Tech Director and team
You must have
- 5 years industry experience coding performant, experience-driven projects, with at least some studio or agency experience
- Some experience with React
- Experience working with at least one of the following:
- Data visualisation using D3, SVGs or similar
- Advanced CSS including the latest techniques, and the pros and cons of using them
- Infrastructure and/or devops
- Python or data analysis
- Custom hardware (arduino/RPI) or one-off hardware (Kinect, etc)
- Experience working with different levels of process and a pragmatic approach to choosing the appropriate level
- Experience choosing and evaluating different architectures, frameworks and approaches, with a good idea of the pros and cons of such decisions
- Experience working in a cross-disciplinary environment, collaborating with other practitioners to deliver the best end result
Ideally you’ll also
- Have experience building products or long term projects
- Have experience in a lead role, mentoring other developers
- Be comfortable talking to project stakeholders and clients who may not be technical
- Have some experience working with teams including remote workers, with ideas on how to get the best from teams like this
- Have some experience of, and interest in talking or writing about your work